Before departing for studies in Switzerland, there are several important things that you need to take care of:
- Confirm acceptance of offer letter from the institution.
- Obtain a passport and student visa (for non-Europeans), and check visa requirements and necessary documents.
- Apply for a residence permit in Switzerland.
- Purchase health insurance or medical cover.
- Ensure that all necessary paperwork has been completed.
- Take note of the address and phone number of your institution and accommodation.
- Photocopy all important documents such as your visa, passport, birth certificate, insurance coverage, traveler’s cheques, prescription medication, permanent ID/driver’s license, etc., and leave a second copy at home or make a scanned copy that you can access through your email.
- Set up a Swiss bank account for easy transactions.
- Check baggage allowance with your airline and label your luggage clearly with your name, contact address, and the address of your institution.
- Keep emergency contact numbers with you.
- Remember that the climate in Switzerland may be different from your home country, so pack accordingly.
- Have enough Swiss currency on hand to get you through the first few days.
It is also important to note that the common languages spoken in Switzerland may vary depending on the region.